I am pleased to announce that as the spread of infection of Coronavirus (COVID-19) has decreased significantly, the Australian Health Protection Principal Committee (AHPPC) and DBA (Dental Board of Australia) has made the decision to downgrade the restrictions placed on dental practices from Level 3 to Level 2 starting 26th of April. This means we are able to perform most of our necessary routine dental procedures that we’ve had to delay. We want all of our wonderful patients to know that we are staying informed and are following all precautions to keep our patients and staff safe.
Your Safety is Our Priority
The risk of exposure to the virus in our dental surgery is extremely low to nil, as we must practice ‘Universal Precaution’. This means that we sterilise all our instruments and disinfect all clinical and front office areas in between every patient to ensure that all viral and bacterial cross contamination is not possible, not just for the current COVID-19 Coronavirus, but for all communicable diseases.
Our staff are fully trained and certified to do this to the highest ‘Hospital’ standards. For more information on our infection control protocols, read: Guidelines for Infection Control. This ensures the utmost safety for all our patients, staff and our families. While there are many websites that have information on COVID-19, I urge everyone to only use reputable sources like the Australian Medical Association website.
- We have also introduced a few more policies to reduce spread of infection (outside our regular high standard of infection control)
- Use of hand sanitizer upon entering and exiting the practice for all staff and patients
- 30 second hydrogen peroxide 1% mouthrinse prior to starting all procedures
- Removal of all magazines, books and toys from waiting areas
- Regularly wiping and cleaning commonly used surfaces including door handles.
- Phoning all patients prior to their appointment to confirm that they are healthy and well to attend their appointment. If unwell, appointments will be rescheduled
- Following all recommended guidelines set by the Department of Health and Human Services and Australian Dental Association
We ask all staff, patients and visitors to delay their visit to our practice if:
- They feel unwell, including but not limited to experiencing possible COVID-19 symptoms OR
- Within the last 14 days, they have travelled overseas OR
- Within the last 14 days, they have had contact with a confirmed or suspected case of COVID-19
Whilst at our practice, please remember to practice simple hygiene by:
- Making sure to clean your hands thoroughly for at least 20 seconds with soap and water, or use an alcohol-based hand rub
- Covering your nose and mouth when coughing and sneezing with tissue or a flexed elbow.
The health and well being of our staff and patients are our top priority and we will continue to care for our patients taking all recommended measures to maintain a safe environment. We will act accordingly should the current recommendations or guidelines change. Until then, it’s business as usual here at Dentists of Ivanhoe Central and we look forward to seeing you again soon.
If you have any questions or concerns, feel free to reply to this email or call our practice at 03 9069 9689.
Best regards, Dr. Shehan Principal Dentist at Dentist of Ivanhoe Central