Invisalign clear aligners are an orthodontic product designed to help correct a number of orthodontic issues including:
- Overbite, underbite and crossbite issues
- Open bite
- Gap teeth
- Crowded teeth
Treatment with Invisalign clear aligners aims to give you a balanced, even smile and straighter teeth.
Does Invisalign work?
One of the most common misconceptions about Invisalign is that they only work for very minor issues. The truth is however that Invisalign is effective in correcting most of the minor, moderate and even severe issues that metal braces can correct.
It is important to note that in order to be effective, Invisalign requires a high level of patient compliance. Prospective Invisalign patients shouldn’t expect a positive outcome if they take their +trays out for days or even hours at a time. The aligners must be worn for 20 to 22 hours per day; the teeth will move out of place if the aligners are not worn diligently, disrupting the expected progress.
What are the pros and cons?
To help you decide whether Invisalign is the right choice for you. We have compiled a list of the pros and cons of this treatment option
- The aesthetic: The transparent aligners are virtually invisible, making them much less noticeable than the wires and brackets of traditional braces
- Removable: The aligners are removable, meaning you can take them out for mealtimes and brushing and flossing
- Comfortable: Metal brackets can be rough and uncomfortable at times. Invisalign trays are perfectly trimmed to fit the users mouth and gumline.
- Less time on the dental chair: Unlike with traditional metal braces, Invisalign doesn’t need regular adjusting, so you only need the occasional quick visit so our dentists can monitor the results.
- Requires consistency: For the most effective treatments, patients need to commit to wearing their trays for 20-22 hours a day
- Removal when eating or drinking: Needing to frequently remove the aligners can be tedious, as you will need to clean your mouth after meals to prevent cavities.
- Less effective for complex issues: For more complex issues, you may not be suited for Invisalign.
Overall Invisalign can be used for a variety of purposes, including crowding and spacing issues, as well as some mild and moderate bite issues. If you are considering Invisalign, book a consultation with our Ivanhoe dentists today.
Our experienced dentists will be able to determine what type of orthodontic treatment you may need and whether Invisalign is a good option for you.