Experiencing unbearable tooth pain can be a distressing situation that requires immediate attention. When you’re faced with severe dental discomfort or a sudden dental injury, time is of the essence. At Dentists of Ivanhoe, your trusted dental clinic serving Thornbury and the surrounding areas, we understand the urgency of dental emergencies. With over 25 years of experience, our compassionate team is equipped with the knowledge and advanced technology to address your dental emergency promptly. In this article we’ll guide you on how to handle unbearable tooth pain until you receive professional care.
Identifying Dental Emergencies
Not all dental issues require immediate attention, but certain conditions warrant urgent dental care. Here are some common dental emergencies that should be promptly addressed:
- Gum Tissue Injury
- Chipped or Broken Teeth
- Knocked Out Adult Teeth
- Loose Teeth
- Severe Toothache
- Damaged or Loss of Dental Crown
- Wisdom Teeth Pain
Understanding tooth pain and its causes
Tooth pain can be caused by various factors, including tooth decay, gum disease, tooth sensitivity, and dental trauma. When tooth decay occurs, bacteria in the mouth produce acids that eat away at the tooth’s protective enamel, leading to cavities. Gum disease, on the other hand, is caused by the buildup of plaque and tartar, which irritate the gums and can cause them to recede, exposing the sensitive roots of the teeth.
Tooth sensitivity is another common cause of tooth pain. It occurs when the protective layer of enamel on the teeth wears down, exposing the dentin underneath. This can cause discomfort when eating or drinking hot, cold, or sweet foods and beverages. Dental trauma, such as a cracked or chipped tooth, can also result in tooth pain.
Should I Seek Immediate Assistance?
When faced with a dental emergency such as severe tooth pain, it’s essential to act swiftly. Promptly seeking professional dental care is crucial to alleviate pain, prevent further complications, and save your tooth. Ignoring or delaying treatment for dental emergencies can lead to complications, prolonged pain, and potential damage to surrounding teeth and tissues.
Temporary Relief and Prevention
While awaiting professional dental care, there are measures you can take to alleviate pain or prevent further complications. Here are some steps you can follow:
- Apply a Cold Compress: If you’re experiencing swelling or pain, apply a cold compress to the affected area on the outside of your cheek or jaw. This can help reduce pain and control bleeding until you see your dentist.
- Maintain Oral Hygiene: Continue brushing and flossing your teeth as usual, but be gentle around the affected area. This will help prevent additional infection or irritation.
- Over-the-Counter Pain Relief: You may consider taking over-the-counter pain medication, following the recommended dosage. However, always consult with a healthcare professional before taking any medication.
- Avoid Hot or Cold Food/Drinks: To prevent sensitivity or aggravating the pain, avoid consuming extremely hot or cold food and drinks.
- Protect the Area: If you have a chipped or broken tooth, cover it with a dental wax or temporary dental cement available at drugstores to protect the exposed area until you receive professional treatment.
Preventive dental care in Thornbury
Preventive dental care plays a crucial role in maintaining optimal oral health because the best way to deal with tooth pain is to prevent it in the first place. You can take steps towards preventive care at home, regularly brushing and flossing is always necessary to maintaining good oral hygiene. However, dentists such as Dentists of Ivanhoe offer a range of preventive services to help you achieve and maintain a healthy smile. These services include:
- Regular dental check-ups and cleanings to remove plaque and tartar buildup and detect early signs of dental problems.
- Dental sealants to protect the chewing surfaces of the back teeth from decay.
- Fluoride treatments to strengthen the enamel and make teeth more resistant to decay.
- Custom mouthguards to protect the teeth and jaw during sports activities.
- Education and guidance on proper oral hygiene practices and dietary choices.
Contact Your Trusted Thornbury Dentist Today
At Dentists of Ivanhoe, we are committed to providing exceptional dental care to the Thornbury community. Our experienced team is dedicated to addressing your dental emergencies promptly and with utmost care. With our compassionate approach, we ensure your comfort throughout the treatment process. We offer emergency dental services to the residents of Thornbury and nearby areas are ready to address your dental emergency and get you back to your routine as soon as possible. We prioritise your dental well-being and also provide convenient payment plans to accommodate your financial needs.
Remember, temporary relief measures can only provide temporary solutions, so it’s crucial to seek professional dental care as soon as possible. Don’t delay, take action today and let us help you regain your dental health and overall well-being. Don’t hesitate to contact Dentists of Ivanhoe today. Our compassionate team is here to provide immediate care and get you on the path to recovery. Call (03) 9499 9033 or visit our website to book your emergency dental appointment now.